645 Main Street
Built for the residents of Grand Junction by local publishing giant Walter Walker in 1923, the Avalon Theatre was and still is one of Western Colorado’s largest performing arts halls. It is located in the Downtown Shopping Park at 645 Main Street.
With Grand Junction being centrally located between Denver and Salt Lake City, the Avalon is a perfect fit as a stopping point for major acts between cities. World-renowned artists such as Al Jolson, John Philip Sousa, Ethel Barrymore, Collective Soul, Lyle Lovett, John Prine and Pat Benatar have graced its stage.
The Historic Avalon Theatre recently underwent an $8 million dollar renovation! Life & safety upgrades are the primary additions to the facility which was built in 1923. The renovations will also added a Roof Top Terrace overlooking Main Street for special events, receptions & dinners!
Other improvements include:
- All new seats and nearly 200 more seats bringing the capacity to just over 1,000.
- Improved the audio and visual technology.
- Improved acoustical treatments
- Updated HVAC system
- Improvement of the current small lobby and concessions.
- Updates to the theatre’s ADA compliance, which includes a patron elevator.
- A new multipurpose room which will double as a movie space.